Recent twitter entries...

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Late night...random thoughts

So, basically it's like the bizillionth night that I have not been able to fall asleep at my usual 9pm at the latest bed time. This may sound like a good thing to most of you, but it's kind of throwing off my schedule, and to be honest, I don't do well without a schedule. At any rate, here I am, with a compilation of random thoughts from today.
1) I was sitting in anatomy lab this evening and the perfect amount of light was shining through the window to illuminate every stray hair on my substitute lab instructors face. You know the light i'm talking about, the light where every flaw on your skin (especially the random straggler hairs) are glowing in all their ugliness. So there they were, two black chin hairs, staring at me every time I tried to look at her. It was a good thing I didn't have a tweezers or I might have been hard pressed not to have an intervention right then and there. I'm not saying that they are hideous and I can't handle it, because I have them, I'm just saying they are hideous, period. Regardless I feel as though we should all be on the look out to warn each other if we see them. Now, perhaps I'm the only person under 50 who has these, I suppose that could very well be the case, as often I feel as though I'm in an 80 year old body (you know with arthritis in all my joints and arthritic bone spurs in my jaw -- seriously, who does this happen to). At any rate, I had gone back to work on cadavers and promptly forgot about the hairs until I arrived home and found a hair on my boyfriend's toothbrush. It sat next to mine, and I didn't notice it at first, so I picked mine up, and brushed away...ahh, minty clean....and then, holy shit!... I almost hurled. There it sat, a small black hair, wedged in-between the bristles of his toothbrush (thank goodness it was not mine or I would have hurled), just staring at me, daring me to touch it. Well, I didn't take the dare, i didn't touch it, I didn't dare touch it. I'll let him know when I see him sometime tomorrow. anyway, this leads me to my next random thought...
2) Did you ever read "Who put that hair in my toothbrush" or "There is a girl in my hammerlock," or even heard of them? Well, I have this vivid recollection all of a sudden of those two books being my favorite books of early adolescence and I am now trying to find a way to get my hands on a copy. I need to look them up as soon as I've had enough of typing on here. At any rate, great books, don't really recall what they are about, but I think the title should tell us enough...they are clearly cornerstones of our literature past and should definitely not be forgotten, so if you have a moment, pause and remember you favorite childhood books. (P.S., obvs The Outsiders should be on the list) Also, sidenote from real childhood my favorite books were the one with the mouse and the moon (very basic and I think it was called "Goodnight Moon"), another I believe was called "fred the cat" or simply "fred" who would go out at night and wreak havoc on the neighborhood when his owners went to bed, and I remember something about the children thinking he had died and saying "poor fred, poor poor fred, fred is dead, dear old fred is dead." I know weird memories, and better still what about the one with a pirate and a pipe that said "pfoot, pfoot" (you can make the sound as you read it). Anyway, good times with childhood books, I had many clearly rememberable nights with those books, I should find them and read them again. You should do the same, either read my recommendations or remember and find your own.
3) Random thought that is totally unrelated (as if the first two actually were, but somehow they linked)...Golden girls is perhaps the best television sitcom ever created. Like the G-rated 70's version of "sex and the city." These old women, we all picture our grandmothers when watching it, talking about one night stands, and their dead husbands, and they have created their own sorority house. Come to think of it, this is like "Old School" but actually is old school, it's the freakin' original "old school." Rose (the ditz who always talks about growing up in st.olef), Dorothy (the uptight and overprotective daughter who never has a guy except her crazy inventor ex-husband who pops up every once and a while), blanche (the southern bell who thinks she's still 20 and beautiful and is a total slut as they all tell her), and of course the best ever Sophia (the incredibly old and absolutely hilarious mother of dorothy who gets more action than her daughter and has all the health problems of her age, but the wit of a 30 year old). Anyway, I think i've gone on long enough, but it is a must see. I pretty much can turn it on (it's about the only thing on my DVR, because it is on lifetime 4 times a day and i've yet to see a re-run), and laugh out loud to myself almost to the point of crying. Now you might think this is a rare occurence depending on the episode, but I beg to differ, it is a guarantee with just about every episode as they are all just as hilarious as the next. Let me paint you a scene: Dorothy is sitting at the table with Blanche when Sophia walks in with what looks like cataract glasses. Dorothy looks up and says, "ma, what are you wearing those for? are your eyes hurting?" and Sophia says, "no, pussycat, I just lost my glasses and these seem to be working." Dorothy responds, "ma, you can't tell me you can see in those" and Sophia says, "sure I can, who's the black guy at the table with you?" and then she advances across the kitchen to stand at the counter and observe the table. Dorothy and Blanche go on to discuss Blanche's family tree so that she can go over it with the Daughters of the South at their annual ceremony to allow in new members (ridiculous in it's own right), when Dorothy realizes that Blanche's great grandfather was not only born in Buffalo, NY (making her a yankee and inelegeable for the Daughters of the South), but also that he was jewish. Blanche responds, horrified, that now she's not only a yankee but she's also jewish and Sophia says quietly from behind, "and now the black guy is prejudice.".....oh man, you prob stopped reading a while ago, but i'm crying i'm laughing to hard just writing it. Basically, it's great, everyone needs a daily dose of Golden Girls, the greatest show on earth!

1 comment:

  1. You gotta love those random thoughts. Now, Eve, I am the one who is actually up too late. Look at the time I'm posting this comment. Ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete