Recent twitter entries...

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

the Lowe's experience




Well, this is a fairly short entry, but had to share it. So I'm attempting to install a mantel over my fireplace (you might ask yourself who has a fireplace without a mantle? I did, but, well as it commonly goes, the answer is me. i don't) to rectify the ridiculous situation of a plain drywall wall above a hole of a fireplace. So, I read up on it, decide the best method of attachment will be to create a "french cleat" if you would like to know the proper term, and so I proceed to Lowe's to acquire the needed supplies. I already have a power drill (I know, i'm high tech like that) and majority of other things, but no level or stud finder or proper wood screws, etc. Well, my boyfriend shows up to my house in his jeans and flannel shirt (hot, i know). I proceed to go over the list of what we need and if he agrees that it will work (sometimes don't know why I even ask), and he responds with a very glazed over expression that it sounds good. So we go, and as we get to the store he is walking a good 4 feet behind me and carrying his glass of diet coke that he is casually drinking while meandering behind me through the aisles. Well, I find the dry wall anchors (in case I can't find the studs) and proceed on to find the wood screws. I begin to look at the different sizes and diameters available when a woman looks down the aisle and says "do you work here?" I turn around, thinking she couldn't be talking to me as I look as clueless as she, and realize that she is looking at Rob. As I observe the situation I see that of course she would be talking to him, I mean he is wearing the flannel shirt that screams "I know my stuff at Lowe's" but then I realize he is also drinking out of his purple glass and texting someone on his cell phone. My immediate reaction is to ask if she is a moron, but think better of it and instead respond, "who, him? he's useless." She proceeds on her way, and Rob acts as though he is offended that I called him useless, but then completely blows his cover that he wasn't wondering why she might have thought he actually worked there by saying (after about a minute passes) "oh, i guess I am wearing a flannel shirt." "Mmhmmm," I say, thinking of course, wow, you're not only useless in the hardware store, but you're a little slow too. However, I don't say that, and instead I just chuckle to myself and think, this will be a good one to blog about. I mean, honestly, if only my boyfriend fit the useful part of the bad stereotype of the way he dresses. Who wears flannel shirts? So that was my hour of lovely time at Lowe's. I'll keep ya posted on how the mantel mounting actually plays out. I am now well equipped for the project, just have to face it. (p.s. I love ya babe, and you aren't useless at all, just sometimes in the "fix-it" parts of life).

3 comments:

  1. I'm proud to be your first official blog follower. :D And I'm glad you were finally able to officially sign in to view some of my blogs. Yeah, the Garr boys might just tend to be a bit like their dad in the "mr. fix-it" department. Good thing they make up for it in being nice--which is also like their dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!!! Gotta love the flannel shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the mantle. And LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the decorations. Yay for blog pictures! They really do add so much to your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete