Recent twitter entries...

Friday, September 18, 2009

Ode to the Leprechaun

Yesterday was Thursday, officially the longest day of my week. Not because I have " every last one of the weeks that I have been in pharmacy school. It is long. Loooonnnnnggggg. I swear we have three quizzes and six application exercises like every Thursday. Needless to say, sometimes you just can't explain why things are the way they are, but this is just how Thursday has decided to pan out for me this semester. Well, yesterday was this lovely eternity that has decided to insert itself into my life, and I fully embraced it. You prob wonder, what does that mean? Well, let me explain. It began with some class on "cultural competence." Ya know, examining your own heritage, being aware of your own biases and where they come from and then putting yourself out there to get to know each and every individual's heritage that comes into your pharmacy. Knowing this about them ('cuz it's so normal for pharmacists to have that much time per patient, I'm sure you all know your pharmacist like this) can then help us make them feel utmost comfort while visiting our pharmacy and discussing their life problems great and small. Well, let me just tell ya, I fully agree with the fundamental idea of what they are teaching in this class, it's all about community, love one another, help the best we can, don't stereotype. But, an entire class on it?! So, needless to stay that started it all off on quite the amusing note, followed by class and waiting and class and waiting and talking and class, etc. At the point we reached the end of the day we were loopy. We began to speak about different stereotypes within my group. Making comments, talking about trends, and then it hit the Irish culture. One comment led to the next and before I knew it I had risen in my chair in order to whole-heartedly perform the leprechaun on the lucky charms box...ya know, hunched over and in a leprechaun voice with a who-knows-what accent saying with arms flailing and holding an invisible beer in one of them and a cane that I'm waving with passion in the other (this is in my head, clearly in the act I had no props at all and looked, I'm sure, ridiculous). I say (louder than I realized I had) "They're always after me lucky charms" as I shake my invisible cane and throw my invisible beer in the air, spilling it. At this point, the entire class (more than just my table) goes silent, teacher and all, and 53 heads turn to stare at me. I slump in my chair embarrassed and my table/group bursts out laughing. At which point my group then reverts back to second grade even more and all have the giggles uncontrollably for about two minutes. Probably hard to picture and not too funny if you weren't there. But, I have not been that embarrassed in a long time, but yet I have not laughed that hard in a long time either. Thoroughly enjoyable end to a ridiculously long day.

2 comments:

  1. I totally got the mental picture - bad Irish accent and all - and, it is quite funny. Way to lighten the mood for your classmates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have loved to see that! :D

    ReplyDelete