Recent twitter entries...

Thursday, April 23, 2009

k, so, life? it's going...

Well, folks, I have set out on the largest craft project of my entire career, and for those of you who know me, that means it's HUGE. Well, yes, indeed, it is. Here's how it all came to be....
- ordered my cake (like picture but no cards on top, just more swirly things, and the bubbles separating the layers are going to be more spiky and smaller, and the colors are black, mint, white and hunter green - picture it)
- Found the cake incredibly inspiring and very me, of course (seems to be the theme of my wedding, you be the judge of if "me" is going to be cool, but clearly I'm happy about it). So, then began to ponder centerpieces. Was going to go with the twiggy tree branch sort of centerpieces figuring they were a bit more me than, oh, let's just say some roses or something. At any rate, so now I've decided I like the whole spiral idea. I begin to ponder, and google, and voila, this is the closest I could find.
- So, now you're wondering and picturing this large chaos factor of a million dollar wedding with wooden carved perfect spirals. Ummm, not quite, I'm not that high rollin'. So, I begin to think of other options....Foam, of course, cheap and light and doable, right? WRONG.
-Begin calling places for "props" (like theater props) in Utah, and no one really does this custom. Next, look up foam people in Utah (not people, but you know, people who have foam in their company titles). A great company who makes many products for it, but not a single one that actually makes things out of it. However, find a company who knows a company in Georgia who does this sort of custom thing.
-Great, e-mail a place in GA, and also a place in FL in the same line of AWESOME work. Place in FL, no response (they prob assumed I was a joke, I am, most of the time, so can't blame them). Place in GA, great response, get back to me with a quote.
-Get quote a week later, oh ya, only $1,500 for ONE of the 6 ft tall pieces. (seeing as how I want 4 6ft tall to make a heart for us to get married in front of and two in the hall, as well as about 20 of varying height and spirals from 1-4 ft tall) This was a BIT out of budget to say the least.
- Now my wheels really start turning (ya know, all one of them that I have up there, but sometimes it can really get going)...I'm now set on this idea, and it must work. So here goes...
I, myself (and perhaps with Rob watching) will be making these. I have now ordered:
-35 rolls of "molder's mesh" (glorified chicken wire that's much more malleable and has diamond rather than square holes, and holes are only 1/2" wide). Out of this, I will make the wire frames of all the random spiral pieces.
-20 rolls (100lbs.) of plaster impregnated fabric (like what you make casts out of), which I will apply to the outside of the frames.
- 20 lbs. of "patching plaster" to apply with a putty knife and attempt to fix all the imperfections of smoothness from the wire frame.
- A butt load of acrylic paint. This, I will use to paint each spiral to match the different tiers of the cake. (diamonds, stripes, mint polka dots, etc)
Basically, I am setting out to create my entire own "whimsical wonderland" and who knows if it will turn out, but it will be a valiant effort nonetheless. Pictures will be coming as I continue. Wish me luck....

3 comments:

  1. You are one ambitious lady, I can't wait to see your spiral things. The cake is awesome just like you!!! Where are you guys getting married? I want to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're FREAKIN HILARIOUS, EVE! I love you. I'm so laughing my guts out. Good luck with that! I guess we'll see how things turn out, but sadly, I KNOW YOUR FATE. You are like a magnet for catastrophic results. But, I swear, I'm not jinxing you!! HAHAHA. I love you!!! If you need my help in your endeavors, I'm sure I could wing it. Just make sure those things are transportable. Sounds HEAVY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your efforts to create your "whimsical wonderland". Make sure you eat lots of gummy bears and mint Oreos to give you lots of creative energy! :)

    ReplyDelete