Recent twitter entries...

Friday, April 10, 2009

The trials of school continue...

So....Just when I think it's all figured out and done and dandy....Yup, you guessed it, it's NOT. So, I get a letter from Regis University (where I am planning on going to Pharmacy School in Augustish - still don't know when it starts, and not sure if they do either), that is titled "Evaluation." Oh man, I knew it had to be good. Me getting evaluated never involves positives.
I open it, my heart beating and I can't read it fast enough....There it is: "Upon our evaluation of your transcript, it seems there are a few classes you will need to take this summer in order to fulfill the prerequisites we require." I open the pdf. attachment to see these "classes" that I have somehow missed in my 270 credits of undergraduate at three different universities in the past 8 years. Go figure, there it is...Philosophy, Psychology, Calculus, Organic Chemistry II Lab, and speech/communications. Thoughts/reactions:
1. They accepted me over two months ago, and have just now looked at my transcript.
2. I have taken 270 credits in who-the-hell-knows-what and nothing fulfills those?
3. I have taken social psychology, calculus techniques, and organic chemistry II with lab included, and speech/communications.
4. What the h-e-double hockey sticks do any of these have to do with pharmacy, folks, can't you help me out?
I proceed in the following fashion:
1. Write an e-mail back to Regis titled "clarifying my evaluation" (Yes, I am slightly peeved at this point)
2. Write an e-mail to my academic advisor at Utah State (yes, we're tight), asking her what my bachelor of science degree had accepted as those prerequisites.
I get the following responses:
1. From Regis - upon review of your recent e-mail (I had sent the syllabi from all of my classes that I had taken to fulfill those classes they said I hadn't), we are able to accept the calculus and psychology, leaving you to take Religious Studies, Speech/communications, Philosophy, and Organic Chemistry II lab.
2. From my advisor - speech and communications was filled by these two classes, let me know what I need to do to help you get these passed.
Regis, despite my advisor talking to them for 20 minutes about what I had taken and what Utah State had accepted, would not accept my speech/communications.
At this point, I am told that I can take all but the organic chemistry II lab at Regis through online classes over the summer. Fine, Done. I'm pretty good at school at this point, just let me move on. One huge stumbling block: a 1 (did you catch that, a ONE credit class of which 4 of the credits I have already taken and the ONE extra credit was not offered) credit Organic Chemistry II laboratory class. And, clearly, and lab cannot be done at home, as they are not going to send me chromotography paper and protein separating equipment for use in my own home. So, I am stuck, finding a summer class for a ONE credit lab that I didn't even have the option to take previously!!
Sidenote: I have taken two semesters of physics, both with separate laboratories, 2 semesters of biochemistry, both with separate laboratories, and one semester of genetics with a separate laboratory. Yes, that is 5 credits worth of EXTRA, higher level, science laboratories which Regis does not require, but is not sufficient to substitute for the 1 credit that they do.
So, I am now trying to get into the lab only portion (as every school wants all your money and requires the lab to be taken with the lecture) of organic chemistry II at Case Western Reserve University in Ohio over the summer. Which means, I will be living in Ohio for July and going to school 5 days a week to accomplish this ridiculous, repetitive class. Still working on getting into that class by the way, so that should be just a few more weeks of frustration headed my way. But, I'm feeling like it will happen, I just can't get too frustrated. It's all a state of mind, right? Well, my state of mind is peaceful and happy, so I'm good.

2 comments:

  1. that's a load of crap! soooo sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Eve. I'm so sorry to hear about all the red tape! Certainly, they should have made an exception with all of the stuff you HAVE taken. Good luck and I'm glad to hear you're taking it in stride...or trying to, at least!! :)

    ReplyDelete